Based on the Java bytecode injection technology, many Java frameworks can be used to automatically instrument applications. This way, you can know the spans between which a slow request occurs. However, this is not enough to identify issues at the code level. You can use the slow request analysis feature of SkyWalking and Tracing Analysis to find the specific methods that cause slow requests.
Create a slow request collection task
- Log on Tracing Analysis console.
- In the left-side navigation pane, click Applications. In the upper-left corner of the Applications page, select a region as required. Then, click the name of the application that you want to check.
- In the left-side navigation pane, click Slow Request Analysis. Then, click Create a task.
- In the Create a task dialog box, set the parameters as required and click OK.
Parameter Description Required Example Span name The span to be monitored. Yes /api Monitoring time The time when the monitoring starts. Select Now, or select Set time and specify a custom time. No Now Monitoring duration The duration of the monitoring. No 5 min Span time-consuming threshold The threshold of the span duration. The span is analyzed only when its duration exceeds this threshold. Unit: ms. No 30 ms Monitoring interval The interval at which monitoring data is collected. No 20 ms Maximum number of samples The maximum number of data samples that are collected for the span. Valid values: 1 to 9. No 5The created task is displayed in the Task list section.
Find the methods that cause slow requests
After the specified monitoring duration that starts from the specified monitoring time, the spans whose duration exceeds the threshold are displayed in the Sampled Traces section. Perform the following steps to find the methods that cause slow requests based on the detailed information of thread stacks on the right of the page:
- On the Slow Request Analysis page, click the task that you created in the Task list section.
The spans whose duration exceeds the threshold are displayed in the Sampled Traces section.
- In the Sampled Traces section, click the span that you want to check. Then, view the content in the Thread Stack section on the right of the page.Methods whose duration exceeds the specified threshold are displayed in red. You can optimize these methods.
Why is no thread stack sampled after the monitoring duration ends?
If no thread stack is sampled after the monitoring duration ends, perform the following steps to troubleshoot the issue:
- In the Task list section of the Slow Request Analysis page, click View task details to the right of the task that you created.
- View the detailed information in the Log section of the Task details dialog box.
- If the value of the Instance parameter contains the monitored agent IP address at the end and the value of the
Operation Type parameter is
EXECUTION_NOTIFY, the network connection is normal. No thread stack is sampled because no span whose duration exceeds the threshold exists.
- If the preceding conditions are not met, the network connection is abnormal. Try again later.
- If the value of the Instance parameter contains the monitored agent IP address at the end and the value of the Operation Type parameter is