This topic describes how ApsaraDB for MyBase works with ApsaraDB for Redis to help Huode Scene handle workload spikes during peak hours.
Founded in 2005, Huode Scene has been committed to providing video services for 15 years. The company has served more than 140,000 enterprises from vertical industries such as education, finance, IT, Internet, government, and online healthcare to provide cloud computing-based video solutions. These solutions cover live streaming, video-on-demand (VOD), interaction, and accelerated scenario-based video application. Huode Scene is the first choice of many well-known enterprises and government agencies such as New Oriental Education & Technology Group, Tomorrow Advancing Life, PICC, Zhaopin Ltd, Nike, SAIC General Motors, Ping An Good Doctor, and the Ministry of Culture and Tourism of the People's Republic of China.
In the field of education, Huode Scene has been committed to providing scenario-specific services for years. The company has attracted many customers such as New Oriental Education & Technology Group, huatu.com, Tomorrow Advancing Life, Tsinghua University, and etiantian.com. Huode Scene has occupied more than 72% of the market share in education for nine consecutive years. Early in 2019, Huode Scene launched a scenario-based online learning solution that helps offline educational institutions streamline the process of launching online teaching. At the beginning of 2020, the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic posed challenges to schools and offline training institutions. Local education authorities across China announced that primary and secondary schools must delay opening, and most offline education and training institutions across the country suspended offline courses. At the end of January 2020, in response to the national call, Huode Scene provided the live streaming service for teachers of schools and training institutions to give lectures online. This helped students keep learning online during the COVID-19 pandemic. As of February 10, the service had engaged more than 34,000 customers. About 83.6 million students watched the live streaming lectures for a total of 121.67 million hours. Up to 8.35 million users were online concurrently.
- During the COVID-19 pandemic, the amount of real-time data such as chat, courseware, and access logs that are generated in live streaming has dramatically increased. Millions of users are online concurrently. This is beyond the processing capabilities of traditional ApsaraDB for Redis instances due to CPU and bandwidth limits.
- The use of tools such as user-created Message Queue (MQ) increases the management and operations and maintenance (O&M) costs and lengthens the data link.
- The workloads of core business databases are growing with the rapid development of online education. The database performance must be optimized and enhanced.
Huode Scene uses an ApsaraDB for MyBase dedicated cluster that contains 16 hosts to distribute messages in live streaming. During peak hours, core ApsaraDB for Redis instances are deployed on the hosts to use exclusive CPU and bandwidth resources. During off-peak hours, intelligent resource scheduling and reasonable overcommitment ratio configurations help reduce the overall costs.
- Compared with traditional user-created MQ tools and ApsaraDB for Redis instances, ApsaraDB for MyBase reduces the management and O&M costs and improves efficiency.
- ApsaraDB for MyBase ensures sufficient bandwidth resources for ApsaraDB for Redis instances in high-concurrency scenarios. The customer does not need to change the business applications and can provide an upgraded live streaming platform that delivers smooth and stable services.
- A single instance supports a message transmission rate of 1,200 MB/s and has no message loss during peak hours. This improves the service quality of the live streaming platform.
- ApsaraDB for MyBase does not change the O&M mode of database administrators. ApsaraDB for Redis instances in the dedicated cluster support the automatic failover for high availability and rapid scaling features. This enables the customer to focus on the business.
- ApsaraDB for MyBase optimizes ApsaraDB database services. This improves the data processing capabilities of the customer.