Data Management (DMS) provides the data service feature that allows enterprises to export the data that is managed by DMS to external environments. This topic describes the flowchart, design philosophy, and scenarios of the data service feature.
Data service flowchart
- The data service feature is a module of DMS. You can use this feature to create API operations and have access to the data that is managed by DMS. You can also apply the security control features that are used for SQL execution in the SQLConsole, such as permission control and data de-identification, to these API operations.
- The data service feature is developed based on a serverless architecture. This feature frees you from the concern about the infrastructure of the runtime environment, such as servers and networks. You need to focus only on how to create API operations and design data query logic. This avoids operations and maintenance (O&M) overheads that are generated by using traditional architectures.
- The data service feature is fully integrated with API Gateway. You can use this feature to publish API operations to API Gateway. This way, you can use all the features that are provided by API Gateway, such as API permission control, IP address-based access control, throttling, metering and billing, and SDKs. Before you use the data service feature, you must activate API Gateway.
- Minimize data exposure: Assume that an enterprise needs to export data to external environments. In this case, API operations can be called to export the data of the specific row or column to external environments. To export the data of the specific row, specify filter conditions in SQL statements. To export the data of the specific column, specify fields that allow queries. Compared with data export of a whole table, this minimizes data exposure and ensures data security.
- Connect visualization tools to databases: For most visualization tools, API operations can be called to connect databases. Instead of using a username and a password, you can call API operations to connect a visualization tool to your database. This method is easy to implement and avoids account exposure.
- Sell API operations in Alibaba Cloud Marketplace: If you want to provide paid or free data for other users, publish an API operation to Alibaba Cloud Marketplace.
- Provide processed data for applications: After data is processed and summarized by using the data warehouse development feature of DMS, API operations can be created and provided for applications to read the processed data from DMS to meet business needs. To modify the logic of data reading, you need to modify only the query logic of the required API operation without the need to republish the application.