Database Backup (DBS) allows you to use Database Gateway (DG) to back up on-premises databases or private databases on a third-party cloud to Alibaba Cloud. You can connect your databases to Alibaba Cloud at a low cost in a few simple steps. Then, you can set a database connected to DG to the source database when you configure a backup schedule of the logical backup mode. This topic describes how to configure a database gateway that is used to back up on-premises databases or private databases on a third-party cloud to Alibaba Cloud.
You can connect an on-premises database or a database that is hosted on a third-party cloud to Alibaba Cloud by using one of the following methods:
- Connect over Express Connect, VPN Gateway, or Smart Access Gateway. This method is not suitable for individual users because it requires high costs.
- Connect to the service port of the database over the Internet. This method causes potential security risks.
- Forward service requests by using a user-created proxy. This method provides low stability and requires that you can create a proxy.
You can use Database Gateway to connect your database to Alibaba Cloud. This method has the following advantages:
- Supports encrypted data transmission to ensure data security.
- Supports data compression and batch transmission of database shards to improve data transmission performance.
- Supports multi-link redundancy and automatic exception handling to ensure reliable data transmission.
- Supports simple configurations that do not require firewalls. For more information about how Database Gateway works, see How it works.
Database Gateway incurs no fees in public preview.
- Create a database gateway. For more information, see Create a database gateway.
- Add a database that you want to connect to Alibaba Cloud. For more information, see Add databases.
When you use the Database Gateway service, no fees are charged. Make sure that the following requirements are met:
- The server where the database gateway is installed can access the Internet. The service port of the server does not need to be open to the Internet. To ensure stable data transmission over channels, the outbound public bandwidth must be at least 10 Mbit/s.
- The server where the database gateway is installed can connect to the database. If the server and the database are deployed in the same internal network, the network latency is minimal.
What to do next
When you configure a backup schedule in DBS, set Database Location to No public network IP: Port's self-built database (accessed through the database gateway). This allows you to use the specified database connected to the database gateway as the source database. The remaining operations for configuring a backup schedule are the same as those for other database connection methods. For more information, see Configure a backup schedule.