This topic provides answers to basic questions about EventBridge.
What is EventBridge?
EventBridge is a fully managed, serverless, and event-driven service bus that provides high scalability and reliability. EventBridge supports multiple features such as event query, event tracing, and cross-account transfer of events. These features serve as building blocks to create serverless services and event-driven applications.
What are the benefits of EventBridge?
- Fully managed service: EventBridge frees you from deployment, operations, and maintenance. EventBridge allows you to obtain event buses with ease by using Alibaba Cloud technologies. You can activate EventBridge with a few clicks.
- Cost efficiency: Compared with a self-managed event-driven service component built on other Alibaba Cloud services, EventBridge is cost-efficient. You are charged only based on the number of API requests. EventBridge is in public preview. During this period, the service is free of charge.
- High scalability and reliability: Based on highly reliable Alibaba Cloud resources such as Message Queue, Elastic Compute Service (ECS), and disks, EventBridge supports three replicas of event data and highly available active/standby switchover.
- Cloud ecosystem: EventBridge is integrated into the Alibaba Cloud ecosystem.
What is the billing method of EventBridge?
EventBridge is in public preview. During this period, all resources are free of charge. After EventBridge is released for commercial use, EventBridge adopts the pay-as-you-go billing method. You are charged based on the number of API requests. This billing method is cost-efficient. For more information, see Billing.
Which regions does EventBridge support?
EventBridge supports the China (Beijing), China (Shanghai), China (Hong Kong), and China (Hangzhou) regions. For more information, see Regions and endpoints.
How does EventBridge ensure data security?
- EventBridge ensures high data security by using Resource Access Management (RAM). Only authorized users can access your data.
- EventBridge supports HTTPS endpoints. Events are published to EventBridge over a Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) encrypted channel.
How do I grant the permissions to use EventBridge?
You can use an Alibaba Cloud account to log on to the RAM console and create RAM users. You can grant the required permissions to these RAM users. For example, you can create RAM User A and RAM User B, and grant the required permissions to the RAM users in the RAM console. These permissions can be used to manage resources, publish events, monitor the system, and perform operations and maintenance (O&M) tasks. You can also grant temporary access permissions to external users by using Security Token Service (STS). For more information, see Grant permissions to RAM users.
You can use the Alibaba Cloud account of Enterprise A to create a RAM role, grant permissions to this role, and then assign this role to Enterprise B. This way, the Alibaba Cloud account of Enterprise B or RAM users that belong to the Alibaba Cloud account of Enterprise B can access the Alibaba Cloud resources of Enterprise A. For more information, see Grant permissions across Alibaba Cloud accounts.
Why do events fail to be published?
The failure to publish events may occur due to the following causes:
- An invalid endpoint is specified.
Copy the endpoint in the EventBridge console. Do not add a protocol header such as HTTP to the endpoint.
- The network is incorrectly configured.
Select the public endpoint or Virtual Private Cloud (VPC) endpoint based on the network environment of the producer.
- The specified resource does not exist.
Check whether the event bus is created.
- You are not authorized to perform this operation.
Check whether the AccessKey ID and AccessKey secret are correct and whether the required permissions are granted to the RAM user that you use. For more information about how to grant permissions to RAM users, see Grant permissions to RAM users.
- The event size exceeds the limit.
For more information about the limits of EventBridge, see Limits.
For more information about how to calculate the size of events, see Calculate the size of events published by PutEvents.
Why do events fail to be routed?
The failure to route events may occur due to the following causes:
- The event target enables throttling.
- The event target does not accept transformed event content.
Which Alibaba Cloud services can be used as event sources for EventBridge? What are the event formats for these Alibaba Cloud services?
For more information about Alibaba Cloud services that can be used as event sources for EventBridge, see Overview.
For more information about the event formats for the Alibaba Cloud services that can be used as event sources for EventBridge, see EDAS events.
How do I configure event patterns to filter events?
For more information about how to configure event patterns, see Create an event rule.