You can enable disk protection for an Elastic Compute Service (ECS) instance in the Hybrid Backup Recovery (HBR) console by configuring snapshot policies.
Disk protection provides snapshot-level protection for an ECS instance or specified disks by using snapshot policies. You can enable the snapshot backup feature to back up snapshots to an HBR backup vault. This guarantees cost-effective long-term protection.
Step 1: Add an ECS instance
- Log on to the HBR console.
- In the left-side navigation pane, choose .
- On the ECS Snapshot Management page that appears, click Add ECS in the upper-right corner.
- In the ECS Snapshot Management wizard dialog box that appears, select the ECS instance to be protected.
Note You can select the entire ECS instance to protect all disks attached to this ECS instance, including newly added disks. Alternatively, you can turn off Protect All Disks and select the specified disks that you want to protect.
Step 2: Configure a snapshot policy
- In the ECS Snapshot Management wizard dialog box, configure a snapshot policy.
You can create an ECS snapshot at the current time or configure a scheduled snapshot plan to create an ECS snapshot periodically.
- To configure a scheduled snapshot plan, set parameters as described in the following
Parameter Description Plan Name The name of the scheduled snapshot plan. If you do not specify this parameter, a random name is set by default. Snapshot Start Time The start time of the scheduled snapshot plan. The time is accurate to seconds. Snapshot Run Interval The interval between snapshots. Valid units: hour, day, and week. Snapshot Retention The retention period of snapshots. Valid units: day, week, month, and year.
- Click OK.
After the snapshot policy is configured, an ECS snapshot can be created at the current time or periodically at the specified start time and at the specified intervals. On the Protection Plan tab, you can perform the following operations on the configured snapshot policies:
- Start a snapshot job: Find the target snapshot policy and click Execute in the Actions column.
- Modify a snapshot policy: Find the target snapshot policy and click Edit in the Actions column. For example, you can modify the interval between snapshots.
- Pause a snapshot job: Find the target snapshot policy and choose in the Actions column. To resume a paused snapshot job, choose in the Actions column.
- Delete a snapshot job: Find the target snapshot policy and choose in the Actions column. After you delete a snapshot policy, HBR no longer runs the policy but retains data that is backed up by using the policy.