Alibaba Cloud offers different categories of disks to meet the storage performance and cost requirements in different scenarios. You can change the categories of your disks based on your needs. For example, you have created a standard SSD. If you want the standard SSD to deliver a higher input/output operations per second (IOPS), you can change this standard SSD into an enhanced SSD (ESSD).
For information about the performance of different disk categories, see EBS performance.
- Only the following disk category change operations are supported. Other operations
such as disk category downgrade are not supported.
Category of the original disk Description of supported category change Ultra disk You can convert ultra disks into standard SSDs, PL0 ESSDs, PL1 ESSDs, PL2 ESSDs, or PL3 ESSDs.Note You cannot convert ultra disks into standard SSDs in the following zones:
- China (Qingdao): Zone B
- China (Beijing): Zone B, Zone D, and Zone E
- China (Hangzhou): Zone B, Zone D, Zone E, and Zone F
- China (Shanghai): Zone A and Zone C
- China (Shenzhen): Zone B and Zone C
- UAE (Dubai): Zone A
- Australia (Sydney): Zone A
Standard SSD You can convert standard SSDs into PL1, PL2, or PL3 ESSDs. ESSD PL0 You can convert PL0 ESSDs into PL1, PL2, or PL3 ESSDs. PL1, PL2, and PL3 You can convert PL1, PL2, and PL3 ESSDs based on their billing methods:
- If the original ESSDs use the pay-as-you-go billing method, you can convert the ESSDs between PL1, PL2, and PL3.
- If the original ESSDs use the subscription billing method, you can upgrade the ESSDs only from the low-performance mode to the high-performance mode.
- Before you convert a disk on an instance into an ESSD, check whether the instance
type supports ESSDs. For more information, see Instance families.
If the instance type does not support ESSDs, you must upgrade the instance type to support ESSDs and then convert the disk. For more information, see Instance families that support instance type changes.
- You can select a performance level for an ESSD based on the capacity of the ESSD. If you cannot select a higher performance level for an ESSD, you can resize the ESSD and then upgrade its performance level. For more information, see Overview.
- When you change the category of a disk, the performance of the disk may also change. We recommend that you change the categories of your disks during off-peak hours.
- It may take an extended period of time to change the category of a disk. The amount of time required is determined based on the storage capacity, original category, and throughput of the disk during the change. After you submit the request to change the category of a disk, we recommend that you view the change progress by going to the Tasks page in the ECS console or by calling the DescribeTaskAttribute operation.
- Disk categories may fail to change if resources are insufficient. If a failure occurs, try again later.
|Before the category change||Before you change the category of a disk, make sure that the following requirements
|During the category change||The following limits apply when the category of a disk is being changed:
|After the category change||A disk can have its category changed only once within seven days.|
After the category of a disk is changed, the billing of the disk has the following changes:
- After the category of a pay-as-you-go disk is changed, you are billed for the disk based on the new disk category.
- After the category of a subscription disk is changed, the price difference is calculated based on the remaining subscription duration and the new disk category. You must pay for the difference.
For information about disk pricing, see Elastic Block Storage devices.
- Log on to the ECS console.
- In the left-side navigation pane, choose .
- In the top navigation bar, select a region.
- Find the disk whose category you want to change and choose Actions column. in the
- In the Change Disk Category dialog box, set Category after Change and confirm the price.
- Click OK.
- Method 1: Go back to the Disks page and view the category of the disk in the Disk Category column.
- Method 2: In the left-side navigation pane, choose Status column. . Find the change task and view the change progress in the