Tags are used to identify cloud resources. The tags allow you to categorize, search for, and aggregate cloud resources that have the same characteristics from different dimensions. This facilitates resource management.
You can use tags to perform the following operations:
- Search for resources.
Add tags to resources and search for resources by tag in the Resource Management console or by calling a tag-related API operation. For more information, see Use tags to query cloud resources.
- Implement automated O&M.
Add different tags to environments such as production and test environments, operating systems such as Windows and Linux, and mobile platforms such as iOS and Android. Then, create a template in Operation Orchestration Service (OOS) and execute the template to implement automated O&M for your resources. For more information, see Overview.
- Control access to resources.
You can use tags in Resource Access Management (RAM) to manage the access and operation permissions of RAM users on different resources. For more information, see Create a resource with a specific tag and Use tags to control access to ECS resources.
- Convenience: A unified, visualized console is provided to manage all resources to which tags are added.
- Flexibility: You can add, remove, modify, or query one or more tags in the console or by calling an API operation.
- Visibility: You can use tags to manage separate bills for departments, products, and projects.
A tag consists of a key-value pair. Limits:
|custom tag||A custom tag is created by a user. For more information, see Create and bind a tag.|
|system tag||A system tag is defined by the system. You can only query system tags.|
Alibaba Cloud services that support tags
A series of core Alibaba Cloud infrastructures support tags, such as Elastic Compute Service (ECS), ApsaraDB RDS, Object Storage Service (OSS), Virtual Private Cloud (VPC), Server Load Balancer (SLB), and Container Service for Kubernetes (ACK). Alibaba Cloud intends to add tag support for other services. For more information, see Alibaba Cloud services that support tags.
- A maximum of 20 tags can be added to a cloud resource.
- Tag information is not shared across regions. For example, in the China (Shanghai) region, you cannot view tags created in the China (Hangzhou) region.