Large enterprises or organizations may need to maintain thousands of resources. If you use groups to manage these resources, thousands of groups are required. Manual maintenance is time-consuming and error-prone. CloudMonitor allows you to attach tags to resources, classify and manage resources based on tags, and achieve automatic monitoring on resources. It helps you reduce monitoring costs.
An Alibaba Cloud account is created. To create an Alibaba Cloud account, click here.
- Tags are attached to resources of other Alibaba Cloud services based on business needs.
- You can only use tags to manage Elastic Compute Service (ECS), ApsaraDB for Relational Database Service (RDS), and Server Load Balancer (SLB) instances. Network interface controllers and disks cannot be tagged.
- A CloudMonitor application group supports a maximum of 3,000 resources for each Alibaba Cloud service. Resources are added into a group in a random order. If the number of resources reaches the limit, your resources can no longer be added into the group.
- After creating an application group, you can view the monitoring chart of the group five minutes later.
- After an application group is created, the system automatically reports alarms based on alarm rules five minutes later.
Specify the cloudmonitor-group tag for resources
When you create an Alibaba Cloud resource, specify the cloudmonitor-group tag if you need to manage the resource in the CloudMonitor console. CloudMonitor automatically creates an application group for this tag. You can view the monitoring chart of the group and manage the resources.
- Specify the cloudmonitor-group tag when you create resources.
- An application group is automatically created for the tag in the CloudMonitor console.
Note For the automatically created application group, the default value of the Contact Group parameter is Default Contact Group and the default value of the Template Name parameter is ASF. You can modify the parameters based on business needs.
Specify tags in the CloudMonitor console
If you specify tags other than cloudmonitor-group when creating Alibaba Cloud resources, you can manually create application groups in the CloudMonitor console based on tags. Then, you can manage resources in the groups based on your needs.
- Log on to the CloudMonitor console.
- Create an application group based on tags.
- In the left-side navigation pane, select Application Group.
- On the Application Group page, click Create Group.
- On the Create Group page, configure the Basic Information, MonitorAlarm, Region, Match Rule, and Event Monitor parameters.
When creating an application group, you must specify the following parameters:
- Creation method: Select Smart tag synchronization creation. The system automatically generates an application group name.
- Contact Group: Default Contact Group is selected by default. You can specify a contact group based on business needs.
- MonitorAlarm: ASF is selected by default. You can create a template based on business needs.
- Resource Tag Key and Tag Value: You can specify a tag key and tag values based on business needs.
- Initialize Agent Installation: If you enable this feature, the system automatically installs monitoring plug-ins on the servers where resources reside. This feature is enabled by default.
.You can use the Resource Tag parameter to filter specified resources.