To associate a listener with an endpoint group, you can specify the region to which you want to distribute network traffic. Then, the system distributes network traffic to the optimal endpoint of the endpoint group.
- For a TCP or UDP listener, you can create only one default endpoint group.
- For an HTTP or HTTPS listener, you can create one default endpoint group and one virtual
Note By default, you can create only one virtual endpoint group. To create multiple virtual endpoint groups, submit a ticket.
- A default endpoint group refers to the endpoint group that you configure when you create an HTTP or HTTPS listener.
- A virtual endpoint group refers to the endpoint group that you can create on the Endpoint Group page after you create a listener.
After you create a virtual endpoint group for an HTTP or HTTPS listener, you can create a forwarding rule and associate the forwarding rule with the virtual endpoint group. Then, the HTTP or HTTPS listener forwards requests with different destination domain names or paths to the default or virtual endpoint group based on the forwarding rule. This way, you can use one Global Accelerator (GA) instance to accelerate access to multiple domain names or paths. For more information about how to create a forwarding rule, see Manage forwarding rules.
Create a default endpoint group
- Log on to the Global Accelerator console.
- On the Instances page, find the GA instance that you want to manage and click Configure Listeners in the Actions column.
- On the Listeners tab, click Add Listener. Note If this is your first time creating an endpoint group, skip the step.
- On the Configure Listener & Protocol wizard page, set the required parameters, and click Next. If you create an endpoint group for an HTTPS listener, you must also configure SSL certificates. For more information, see Create a listener.
- On the Configure Endpoint Group wizard page, set the following parameters of the endpoint group and click OK.
Parameter Description Endpoint Group Name Enter a name for the endpoint group.
The name must be 2 to 128 characters in length, and can contain letters, digits, underscores (_), and hyphens (-). The name must start with a letter.
Region Select the region where you want to deploy the endpoint group. Backend Service Select whether backend services are deployed on Alibaba Cloud.
- Alibaba Cloud: specifies that backend services are deployed on Alibaba Cloud.
- Off Alibaba Cloud: specifies that backend services are not deployed on Alibaba Cloud.
Reserve Client IP Specify whether to reserve client IP addresses.
After the feature is enabled, backend servers can obtain source IP addresses of clients. For more information, see Preserve client IP addresses.
Endpoint An endpoint serves as the destination that a client requests to access. Set the following parameters to configure an endpoint:
- Backend Service Type: If you set Backend Service to Alibaba Cloud, you can select Alibaba Cloud Public IP Address, ECS, or SLB. If you set Backend Service to Off Alibaba Cloud, you can select Custom IP Address or Custom Domain Name.
- You can specify an Elastic Compute Service (ECS) or Server Load Balancer (SLB) instance as an endpoint only if your Alibaba Cloud account is included in the whitelist. If you want to use this feature but you are not included in the whitelist,submit a ticket.
- Only an ECS instance or SLB instance that resides in a virtual private cloud (VPC) can be specified as an endpoint.
- If no service-linked role exists when you specify an ECS or SLB instance as an endpoint, the system automatically creates the service-linked role AliyunServiceRoleForGaVpcEndpoint. For more information, see AliyunServiceRoleForGaVpcEndpoint.
- Backend Service: Enter the IP address or domain name of the origin server.
- Weight: Enter a weight for the endpoint. Valid values: 0 to 255. GA routes network traffic to each endpoint based on the proportion of each endpoint.
Notice If you set the weight of an endpoint to 0, GA does not route network traffic to the endpoint. Proceed with caution.
You can click + Add Endpoint to add more endpoints. You can create at most four endpoints for each endpoint group.
Backend Service Protocol Select the protocol that the backend server uses. Valid values:
- This is the default value. If the listener protocol is HTTP, this parameter is set to HTTP and cannot be modified.
- You can set Backend Service Protocol and Port Mapping only when you configure an endpoint group for an HTTP or HTTPS listener.
Port Mapping If the listener port is not the same port over which the endpoint provides services, you must set this parameter.
- Listener Port: Enter the listener port.
- Endpoint Port: Enter the port over which the endpoint provides services.
If the listener port is the same port over which the endpoint provides services, ignore this parameter. GA automatically forwards requests to the listener port of the endpoint.
- On the Confirm wizard page, review the configurations. To modify a specific setting, click Modify in the corresponding section.
- After you confirm the configurations, click Submit.
Create a virtual endpoint group
- You can create a virtual endpoint group for only an HTTP or HTTPS listener.
- Before you can create a virtual endpoint group, you must create a default endpoint group.
- Log on to the Global Accelerator console.
- On the Instances page, find the GA instance that you want to manage, and click Configure Listeners in the Actions column for the instance.
- On the Listeners tab, find the listener that you want to manage and click the endpoint group ID in the Default Endpoint Group ID/Name column.
- On the Endpoint Group tab, click Add Virtual Endpoint Group.
- In the Add Virtual Endpoint Group dialog box, set the parameters and click Create. For more information, see Create a default endpoint group.