Database Backup (DBS) provides the remote backup feature to support geo-disaster recovery for ApsaraDB for PolarDB instances, ApsaraDB for RDS instances, and user-created databases hosted on Elastic Compute Service (ECS) instances. This topic describes how to configure a remote backup schedule for an ECS-hosted user-created database.
Alibaba Cloud does not support cross-region communication between private networks. To protect the security of remote backup data, you can select one of the following schemes as required:
- Databases that can be accessed over the Internet: Specify the public endpoint of the database and add the Classless Inter-Domain Routing (CIDR) blocks of the DBS server to the IP address whitelist of the database. This topic describes this scheme.
- Databases that can be accessed over the Internet: Specify the public endpoint of the database and enable Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) encryption.
- Databases that can be accessed over private networks: Use VPN Gateway, Express Connect, Smart Access Gateway, or Cloud Enterprise Network.
Go to the DBS purchase page and purchase a DBS backup schedule.
- For remote backup, select a region different from the region of the backup source for the backup schedule.
- For remote backup, the region of the backup schedule must be the same as that of the backup destination.
- For example, you can back up an ECS-hosted user-created database deployed in the China (Beijing) region to DBS by using a DBS backup schedule in the China (Hangzhou) region.
Configure the backup schedule. To configure the backup schedule, follow these steps: In the left-side navigation pane of the DBS console, click Backup Schedules. On the Backup Schedules page that appears, find the target backup schedule and click Configure Backup Schedule in the Actions column.
In the Configure Backup Schedule wizard, set Database Location to ECS-Hosted Database. Click Set Whitelist. In the message that appears, view the CIDR blocks of the DBS server.
Specify a storage type and storage encryption method for the backup destination.