Hotpatch function is used to fix online bugs without releasing a new version.
Each hotpatch is an emergency release. The hotpatch function applies only when online client issues must be resolved immediately but there is no time for releasing a new version.
According to best practices, emergency release is used to resolve only critical problems with a large impact scope and high reproducibility, including but not limited to the following:
- Crash with a high probability
- Critical UI issues
- Bugs that may cause asset loss or user complaints
- Unavailability of some client functions
- Emergency modifications upon regulatory scrutiny
The following models and scenarios are not supported:
- Dalvik x86 models
- Samsung 5.0.x models
- Models with Level 21 to 23 APIs and with Jit enabled
- Lemur VMs, and Dalvik models in Art mode
The complete procedure for implementing the hotpatch function includes: