Alibaba Cloud upgrades the hardware and networks in some of its ApsaraDB for RDS data centers to increase performance and stability. You can migrate your RDS instance to another zone by using the ApsaraDB for RDS console as instructed below.
If your RDS instance meets the following requirements, we recommend that you migrate it during off-peak hours at the earliest opportunity:
- It runs one of the following database engine versions and RDS editions:
- MySQL 8.0 (with local SSDs)
- MySQL 5.7 (with local SSDs)
- MySQL 5.6
- MySQL 5.5
- SQL Server 2008 R2
- PostgreSQL 10 High-availability Edition (with local SSDs)
- PostgreSQL 9.4
- It resides in one of the following source zones.
Note The following table lists source zones and their recommended destination zones. The hardware and networks in the recommended destination zones offer better performance and stability to your RDS instance.
Source zone Recommended destination zone Zone C in China (Hangzhou) Zone I in China (Hangzhou) Zone D in China (Hangzhou) Zone I in China (Hangzhou) Zone B+Zone C in China (Hangzhou) Zone H+Zone I in China (Hangzhou) Zone B in China (Beijing) Zone H in China (Beijing)Note Multi-zone deployment indicates that the primary and secondary instances reside in different zones to provide zone-level disaster tolerance.
- There will be a brief 30-second disconnection during the migration. Make sure that your application is configured to reconnect to the primary instance after it is disconnected.
- After you change the VPC and VSwitch of your RDS instance, its virtual IP addresses (VIPs) also change. We recommend that you use an endpoint to connect your application and RDS instance. For more information, see Configure endpoints for an RDS for MySQL instance.
- The VIP changes temporarily interrupt the connection with Alibaba Cloud DRDS. You must update the endpoint information of your RDS instance in the DRDS console immediately after you change its VPC and VSwitch.
- The VIP changes temporarily interrupt the connections with Alibaba Cloud Data Management Service (DMS) and Data Transmission Service (DTS). The connections are automatically restored to normal.
- After the migration, data can only be read from the original RDS instance. However, your application still may connect to the original RDS instance by using the connection information cached in the domain name server (DNS). You must clear the cache on the DNS immediately after the migration is complete.
- Log on to the ApsaraDB for RDS console.
- In the upper-left corner of the page, select the region where the target RDS instance resides.
- Find the target RDS instance and click its ID.
- Click Migrate Across Zones.
- In the dialog box that appears, specify the destination zone, VSwitch, and switching time, and then click OK.
Note If your RDS instance resides in a VPC:
- You cannot change its VPC.
- Make sure that a VSwitch is created in the destination zone. If no VSwitches are created, click please create a new switch first on the VPC console. In the VPC console, create a VSwitch and make sure that you select a recommended destination zone.
- What happens if I do not migrate my RDS instance?
Your business remains available even if you do not migrate your RDS instance. However, for better performance and stability, we recommend that you migrate your RDS instance to a recommended destination zone.
- If I cannot migrate my RDS instance by January 24, 2020, do I need to migrate it later?
Yes, you still need to migrate your RDS instance if you cannot migrate it now. If your RDS instance resides in Zone B in China (Beijing), Zone C in China (Hangzhou), or Zone D in China (Hangzhou) that requires hardware and network upgrades, Alibaba Cloud notifies you of the current O&M events. You can schedule your migration plan based on these events by using the ApsaraDB for RDS console. There will be a brief 30-second disconnection during the migration. Make sure that your application is configured to reconnect to the primary instance after it is disconnected. For more information, see Impact.
- After I migrate my RDS instance, do I need to migrate its peer ECS instance that resides in the same zone?
According to the overall cross-zone migration plan of Alibaba Cloud, you must migrate both your RDS instance and its peer ECS instance from the same zone. For more information about how to migrate an ECS instance across zones, visit Alibaba Cloud physical server migration and upgrade notice.
- Do I have to migrate my RDS instance to a recommended destination zone from the preceding table?
No, you can migrate your RDS instance to another zone not specified in the table.
- Can I migrate my RDS instance back to its source zone after the upgrade is complete?
Yes, you can migrate your RDS instance back to its source zone after the upgrade is complete.
- Why am I unable to select the source zone of my RDS instance when I create a VSwitch?
The source zone of your RDS instance receives hardware and network upgrades. Therefore, you cannot create a VSwitch in it. When you create a VSwitch, select a recommended destination zone.