Sandboxed-Container provides an alternative to the Docker runtime. It allows you to run applications in a sandboxed and lightweight virtual machine that has a dedicated kernel. This enhances resource isolation and improves security.
Sandboxed-Container is suitable in scenarios such as untrusted application isolation, fault isolation, performance isolation, and load isolation among multiple users. Sandboxed-Container provides higher security. Sandboxed-Container has minor impacts on application performance and offers the same user experience as Docker in terms of logging, monitoring, and elastic scaling.
- Strong isolation based on sandboxed and lightweight virtual machines.
- Good compatibility with runC in terms of application management.
- High performance that corresponds to 90% the performance of applications based on runC.
- Network Attached Storage (NAS) file systems, Alibaba Cloud disks, and OSS buckets can be mounted both directly and through virtio-fs.
- The same user experience as that provided by containers in runC in terms of monitoring, logging, and storage.
- Support for RuntimeClass (runC and runV). For more information, see RuntimeClass.
- Less requirements on technical expertise and skills of using virtual machines.
- Higher stability than that provided by Kata Containers. For more information about Kata Containers, see Kata Containers.