You can change the scope of your reserved instances (RIs) to fit your service requirements. This topic describes how to change the scope of an RI.
- The reserved instance has been purchased and is in the Active state.
- There are no ongoing splitting, merging, or change requests.
For the sake of clarity, reserved instances to be split, merged, or modified are hereinafter referred to as original reserved instances, and the resulting reserved instances are referred to as target reserved instances. You can change the instance type of a reserved instance. The instance family cannot be changed.
- From a zone to a region
- From a region to a zone
- From one zone to another within the same region
You cannot change the scope of an RI across regions. For example, if you have a zonal RI in Hangzhou Zone B, you can change the RI scope to another zone or change the RI to a regional RI in the China (Hangzhou) region. However, you cannot change the RI to a regional or zonal RI in another region.
- The original reserved instance will enter the Processing state. The reserved instance state will be automatically refreshed after the splitting request has been processed.
- A request in progress cannot be changed or canceled. If you want to roll back your changes, you must submit another request.
- The target reserved instances will take effect at the top of the hour of the splitting operation. If a target reserved instance matches one or more new pay-as-you-go instances, the billing discount will be applied to the matching pay-as-you-go instances within the same hour.
- The original reserved instance will be retired at the top of the hour, and its price is updated to USD 0.
- If the target reserved instances are zonal reserved instances, the type of resources reserved will also be updated automatically.
If the scope of the RI fails to be changed, the RI remains valid.
- Log on to the ECS console.
- In the left-side navigation pane, choose .
- On the Reserved Instances page, find the target RI and click Modify in the Actions column.
- In the Modify Reserved Instance pane that appears, change the zone of the RI.
- Click OK.