This topic describes how to merge reserved instances (RIs). If traffic to your instances increases, you can merge multiple RIs into a single RI to match larger pay-as-you-go instances.
- The RIs have been purchased and are valid, that is, they are in the Active state.
- There is no ongoing splitting, merging, or change request.
- The RIs have the same expiration date.
- The RIs were purchased with the same currency.
- If these RIs are regional RIs, they must belong to the same region. If these RIs are zonal RIs, they must belong to the same zone.
For the sake of clarity, reserved instances to be split, merged, or modified are hereinafter referred to as original reserved instances, and the resulting reserved instances are referred to as target reserved instances. You can change the instance type of a reserved instance. The instance family cannot be changed.
- The original reserved instance will enter the Processing state. The reserved instance state will be automatically refreshed after the splitting request has been processed.
- A request in progress cannot be changed or canceled. If you want to roll back your changes, you must submit another request.
- The target reserved instances will take effect at the top of the hour of the splitting operation. If a target reserved instance matches one or more new pay-as-you-go instances, the billing discount will be applied to the matching pay-as-you-go instances within the same hour.
- The original reserved instance will be retired at the top of the hour, and its price is updated to USD 0.
- If the target reserved instances are zonal reserved instances, the type of resources reserved will also be updated automatically.
If the RIs fail to be merged, they remain valid.
- Log on to the ECS console.
- In the left-side navigation pane, choose .
- On the Reserved Instances page, find an RI to be merged and click Merge in the Actions column.
- In the Merge Reserved Instances pane that appears, select the RIs with which you want to merge the current RI. Set
the name, instance type, and instance quantity for the new RI.
Note The computing power of the new RI must be equal to that of all the original RIs, and the new RI must be of an existing instance type. For example, two ecs.g5.2xlarge RIs can be merged into one ecs.g5.4xlarge RI, but one ecs.g5.xlarge RI and two ecs.g5.2xlarge RIs cannot be merged into one ecs.g5.5xlarge RI.
- Click OK.