Most Alibaba Cloud users use ApsaraDB for RDS or a user-created database hosted on Elastic Compute Service (ECS) instances as a business system database. The volume of data stored in the business system database increases as business data grows. However, the computing capabilities of ApsaraDB for RDS or user-created databases hosted on ECS instances are limited. If you use ApsaraDB for RDS or a user-created database hosted on ECS instances to build a data warehouse, business operations will be affected because these databases occupy computing resources of online business. If you use a user-created open source big data ecosystem such as Hive or Spark, professional big data engineers are required to perform operation and maintenance, which is more complex and expensive than MySQL.
The one-click data warehouse feature allows you to configure a data source (such as ApsaraDB for RDS or a user-created database hosted on ECS instances) and a destination OSS data warehouse. Data Lake Analytics (DLA) automatically and seamlessly synchronizes data from the data source to the destination OSS data warehouse at the specified time. Then, DLA creates a schema the same as the table schema of the data source in DLA and the data warehouse, and analyzes data based on data in the destination data warehouse without affecting the running of online business at the data source end.
The one-click data warehouse feature provides the following benefits:
- Synchronizes data from thousands of tables in a data source such as ApsaraDB for RDS or a user-created database hosted on ECS instances with one click. No additional configuration is required.
- Provides services based on the serverless architecture. No instance maintenance is required and no maintenance fee is generated.
- Stores data of the data source in the destination data warehouse OSS during data synchronization. This way, no workload is caused for the business system at the data source end during data warehouse creation.
- Allows you to configure one-click data warehouse tasks in the DLA console. You can
specify when to perform a scheduled data transfer.
You can use your data warehouse after you configure an one-click data warehouse task. For more information about how to use a data warehouse, see the descriptions about how to use ApsaraDB RDS for MySQL.
- Provides superior computing capabilities. Large memory and concurrent computation of DLA help you perform complex multi-table joining and operations required for data warehouse creation.