This topic provides an overview of waterfall charts and an example on how to use waterfall charts. This topic also describes how to configure waterfall chart styles and how to delete a waterfall chart. Waterfall charts are available only in workspaces of Quick BI Pro and Quick BI Enterprise Standard editions.
A dashboard is created. For more information, see Create a standard dashboard.
A waterfall chart uses absolute values and relative values to visualize data changes over time or affected by different factors. It is useful for business and financial analysis.
- You must specify at least one dimension for Category Axis (Dim.).
- You can specify only one measure for Value Axis (Mea.).
- Perform the operations shown in the following figure to create a dashboard.
- In the Create Dashboard dialog box, select Standard or Full Screen, and click OK.
In this example, Standard is selected.
- On the dashboard edit page, click the icon in the top menu bar and click the Waterfall Chart icon.
- On the Data tab, configure the waterfall chart.
- Double-click the required dimensions and measures, or drag them to the destination
- In the Dimensions list, double-click area. You can also drag this dimension to the Filters field.
- In the Dimensions list, double-click province. You can also drag this measure to the Category Axis (Dim.) field.
- In the Measures list, double-click shipping_cost. You can also drag this measure to the Value Axis (Mea.) field.
- Click the icon next to the area under Filters to configure filters.
In this example, Filter Method is set to By Enumeration, Query Mode is set to Single Choice, and Filter Condition is set to East China.
- Double-click the required dimensions and measures, or drag them to the destination fields.
- Click Update to update the waterfall chart.
You can click the icon next to Value Axis (Mea.) to modify the display name, aggregation method, and value display format of a measure. For more information, see Configure a chart.
- On the Style tab, configure parameters in the Basic Information, Parameter Settings, Chart Style, and Axes sections.
For more information, see Configure waterfall chart styles.
- On the Advanced tab, configure the following parameters.
Parameter Option Description Advanced Settings Auto Refresh After you select Auto Refresh, the system refreshes the waterfall chart as scheduled. For example, if you select Auto Refresh, enter 5, and then select Minutes, the system refreshes the waterfall chart every 5 minutes. Filter Interaction After you configure Filter Interaction and click an area or field in the waterfall chart, data in other charts that are associated with this chart is updated. For more information, see Configure the filter interaction feature. Hyperlink After you configure Hyperlink, you are directed to the linked report when you click a field in the waterfall chart. You can set Hyperlink to Parameter or External Link. If you select Parameter, you must configure global parameters. For more information, see Configure the hyperlink feature.
- Click Save in the upper-right corner of the page to save the settings.
Configure waterfall chart styles
- In the Basic Information section, configure Show Title and Description, Description, Endnote, and Show Link.
Note If Show Link is selected, you also need to configure Link Text and Link Address. If you click a field in the waterfall chart, you are redirected to the linked report or an external link.
- In the Parameter Settings section, configure Show Initial Value, Show Cumulative Value, and Show Initial Value/Cumulative Value Labels.
- In the Chart Style section, configure Show Chart Labels, Show Legend, and Color Settings.
If a chart has a large number of measures, select Show Chart Labels to show all the measure labels. Show Chart Labels has two options: Smart and Full.
- If a chart has a large number of dimensions and the scroll bar is not displayed, select Smart to show only some data labels.
- If a chart has a small number of dimensions or the scroll bar is not displayed, select Full to show all the data labels.
- In the Axes section, configure axis styles.
Parameter Option Description X-Axis Axis Title The title for the x-axis. Unit The unit for the x-axis. Show Title and Unit Specifies whether to show the title and unit of the x-axis. Show Axis Specifies whether to show the x-axis, including the line style, line width, and color. Gridlines Specifies whether to show gridlines on the x-axis, including the line style, line width, and color. Show Scale Specifies whether to show scales on the x-axis. Left Y-Axis Axis Title The title for the left y-axis. Unit The unit for the left y-axis. Auto Magnify Value Differences Specifies whether to automatically magnify value differences on the left y-axis.Note If Auto Magnify Value Differences is selected, the axis range is automatically adjusted based on the minimum and maximum values of the displayed data. Show Title and Unit Specifies whether to show the title and unit of the left y-axis. Show Axis Specifies whether to show the left y-axis, including the line style, line width, and color. Y-axis Label Settings The display formats for labels on the left y-axis. Options: AutoFit, Custom, and Manual. Show Value Specifies whether to show values on the left y-axis. Gridlines Specifies whether to show gridlines on the left y-axis, including the line style, line width, and color. Show Scale Specifies whether to show scales on the left y-axis.Note If you select Dual Y-Axis in the Chart Type section, you also need to configure Right Y-Axis. The steps to configure the right y-axis are the same as the steps to configure the left y-axis.
Delete a chart
- Click the icon in the upper-right corner of the line chart.
- Select Delete. The line chart is deleted.