Managed HSM is an important feature of Key Management Service (KMS) to enable easy access to certified Hardware Security Modules (HSMs) provided by Alibaba Cloud.
An HSM is a hardware device that performs cryptographic operations, and generates and stores keys. You can protect your most sensitive workloads and assets provided by Alibaba Cloud, by hosting keys in these highly secure hardware devices.
|Region name||City||Certification type||Region ID|
|China (Beijing)||Beijing||SCA certification||cn-beijing|
|China (Shanghai)||Shanghai||SCA certification||cn-shanghai|
|China (Hong Kong)||Hong Kong||FIPS 140-2 Level 3||cn-hongkong|
|Singapore (Singapore)||Singapore||FIPS 140-2 Level 3||ap-southeast-1|
|Australia (Sydney)||Sydney||FIPS 140-2 Level 3||ap-southeast-2|
Managed HSM can help you meet stringent regulatory requirements. Based on different regulatory requirements in each local market, Alibaba Cloud offers HSMs certified by different third-party organizations to meet your localization and internationalization requirements.
For regions in mainland China,
- SCA certification: Alibaba Cloud HSMs have passed the certification by the agencies designated by State Cryptography Administration (SCA).
- SCA compliance: Alibaba Cloud Managed HSM complies with the relevant technical requirements and specifications of SCA and provides Alibaba Cloud users with commercial cryptographic algorithms that comply with national and industrial standards.
- FIPS validation for hardware: Alibaba Cloud HSMs, including their hardware and firmware, have passed FIPS 140-2 Level 3 validation (Certificate #3254).
- FIPS 140-2 Level 3 compliance: Alibaba Cloud Managed HSM runs under FIPS Approved Level 3 mode of operation.
- PCI DSS: Alibaba Cloud Managed HSM complies with PCI DSS requirements.
High security assurance
- Hardware protection
Managed HSM helps you protect keys in KMS through hardware mechanisms. The plaintext key material of CMKs is only processed inside HSMs for key operations. It is kept within the hardware security boundary of HSMs.
- Secure key generation
Randomness is crucial to the encryption strength of keys. Managed HSM uses a random number generation algorithm that is secure and licensed and has high system entropy seeds to generate key material. This protects keys from being recovered or predicted by attackers.
Ease of operation
- Hardware lifecycle management
- HSM cluster management
- High availability and scalability management
- System patching
- Most disaster recovery operations
Ease of integration
- Key version management
- Automatic key rotation
- Resource tag management
- Controlled authorization
These features enable rapid integration of your applications with HSMs, as well as integration of ECS, RDS, and other cloud services with Managed HSM. You can implement static encryption of cloud data without paying any R&D costs.
Managed HSM allows you to better control encryption keys on the cloud and move the most sensitive computing tasks and assets to the cloud.
When using both Managed HSM and Bring Your Own Key (BYOK), you can have full control over the following items:
- How key material is generated
- The key material that you import to the managed HSM cannot be exported, but can be destroyed.
- Key lifecycle
- Key persistence
You can benefit from the pay-as-you-go billing method of cloud computing. Compared with user-created key infrastructure by using local HSMs, Managed HSM eliminates hardware procurement costs, as well as subsequent R&D and O&M costs.