When you manually release a classic network-type ECS instance, you can convert its public IP address to an Elastic IP address (EIP). An EIP can be bound to a VPC-type ECS instance for various scenarios such as network migration, elastic binding, and flexible bandwidth adjustment. You can convert the public IP address of a classic network-type instance to an EIP only when you manually release the instance.
- The instance has been assigned a public IP address.
- The zone to which the instance belongs cannot be Hangzhou Zone C.
- If the instance is a pay-as-you-go instance, it is in the Stopped state and your account has no overdue payments.
- If the instance is a subscription instance, it is in the Expired or To Be Released state.
- If the instance is a subscription instance, the billing method of the Internet bandwidth is Pay-By-Traffic. You can change the Pay-By-Bandwidth billing method of the Internet bandwidth by upgrading or downgrading the instance. For more information, see Overview of instance upgrade and downgrade.
- If the type of the instance has been changed, wait until the change takes effect before proceeding.
- You have created snapshots for the instance to prevent data loss caused by incorrect operations. For more information, see Create a snapshot.
After the public IP address of a classic network-type instance is converted to an EIP,
- The billing method for the Internet bandwidth of the EIP is Pay-By-Traffic.
- The Internet bandwidth of the EIP is the same as that of the original ECS instance. You can change the Internet bandwidth of the EIP as needed in the VPC console. If the Internet bandwidth of the classic network-type instance is 0 Mbit/s before conversion, the Internet bandwidth of the converted EIP is automatically upgraded to 1 Mbit/s.
- The EIP cannot be bound to a classic network-type ECS instance.
- A classic network-type ECS instance has a public network interface controller (NIC). If the public IP address of the ECS instance is converted to an EIP, the public NIC and MAC address of the instance will not be retained.
- Log on to the ECS console.
- In the left-side navigation pane, choose .
- In the top navigation bar, select a region.
- Find the classic network-type instance and select a release method.
- To release a subscription instance, click Release in the Actions column corresponding to the instance.
- To release a pay-as-you-go instance, choose Actions column. from the
- Select Release Now, select Convert the public IP address of the ECS instance in a classic network to an EIP address.
(The EIP addresses that are not bound to ECS instances will be billed.), and then click Next.
- Click OK.
What to do next
You can bind this EIP to another ECS instance. For more information, see Associate an EIP with an ECS instance.