This topic describes the Dynamic Route for CDN (DCDN) workload type of Alibaba Cloud CDN. You can use DCDN to achieve whole site acceleration. Your websites or applications may experience performance issues such as slow responses, packet losses, or unstable services. The causes of these issues may include mixed dynamic and static content, cross-service provider operations, network instability, dependence on single-line communications with origins, traffic spikes, and network congestion. If you are suffering from these issues, we recommend that you use DCDN to improve site performance and user experience.
By default, DCDN accelerates content delivery by requesting static and dynamic content from their origins through optimal routes. You can specify static content types or paths so that the system can automatically distinguish between dynamic and static content. In this case, static content is cached on edge nodes, and dynamic content is delivered by using acceleration technologies. This ensures that static content and dynamic content are delivered in the optimal methods, respectively.
DCDN integrates the technologies that are used to accelerate the delivery of dynamic content and static content. It has become an independent Alibaba Cloud product, which is widely used for e-commerce, social networking, government, enterprise, gaming, and finance platforms.
DCDN is suitable for accelerating the delivery of dynamic content on websites or applications. It provides core technologies to reduce the response time of sites that include both static and dynamic content. These technologies include separation of dynamic and static content, intelligent caching, route optimization, and transmission optimization. With these technologies, you can enjoy a fast, reliable, and smooth experience regardless of your browser, location, device, or network conditions. DCDN also supports elastic scaling. This allows you to enjoy high-quality network experience in all locations without adding infrastructure. For more information about DCDN, see What is Dynamic Route for CDN?.
- Diverse and complex dynamic content reduces page load speeds. This negatively affects user experience.
- Page load latencies and content distribution failures occur due to issues such as the dependence on single-line communications with origins, traffic spikes, and network congestion.
- Gaming websites or applications need to respond to highly concurrent user requests that are sent to access dynamic content in real time. Traditional communications protocols cannot meet these requirements.
- Network traffic spikes bring challenges on origins due to the load imbalance.
- Websites are exposed to hijacking and tampering risks due to complex environments. If data transmission is based on only the HTTP protocol, dynamic content may be leaked. Therefore, network service providers must seek network connections and content distribution methods that are more secure and efficient than HTTP.
Required Alibaba Cloud features
- Separate delivery acceleration of dynamic and static content: Dynamic content delivery is accelerated based on intelligent routing, optimized transmission protocols, and link multiplexing. Static content delivery is accelerated based on the cache in edge nodes. Static content is cached in edge nodes to improve the site load speed.
- Real-time detection and smooth cross-network data transmission: These technologies provide a stable and efficient way to handle heavy traffic. This ensures round-the-clock network availability.
- Load balancing for back-to-origin traffic, primary/secondary switchover for multiple origins, link multiplexing, and ordered back-to-origin requests: These technologies are used to reduce workloads on origins and fault risks.
- End-to-end HTTPS secure acceleration, hotlink protection, and IP-based throttling: These technologies ensure the security of origins.
- Rule customization, data monitoring, and alerting: You can define dynamic or static acceleration rules and caching rules, monitor data, and configure alerts.
Before you select a workload type for your domain name for CDN in the Alibaba Cloud CDN console, make sure that you have full knowledge about the application scenarios of different workload types. For more information, see Add a domain.