This topic describes how to create a PolarDB cluster in the PolarDB-O console.
A PolarDB-O cluster contains one primary node and a maximum of 15 read-only nodes. To ensure high availability, at least one read-only node is required to implement the active-active architecture. A node is a virtual database server. You can create and manage multiple databases on a node.
- PolarDB-O supports Virtual Private Cloud (VPC) only. Each VPC is an isolated network on Alibaba Cloud and is more secure than the classic network.
- To optimize the performance of PolarDB, PolarDB clusters need to be deployed in the same internal network with Alibaba Cloud services. We recommend that you deploy PolarDB clusters and Elastic Compute Service (ECS) instances in the same VPC to ensure the optimal performance of PolarDB. If your ECS instance is deployed in the classic network, you must migrate the instance to a VPC.
- Log on to the PolarDB console.
- In the upper-left corner of the page, click Create Cluster.
- Select Subscription or Pay-As-You-Go.Note
- Subscription: An upfront payment is required for two compute nodes when you create the cluster. The two compute nodes are one primary node and one read-only node. The storage fee is charged based on the used storage and is deducted from your account on an hourly basis. The Subscription billing method is more cost-effective than the pay-as-you-go billing method if you want to use the new cluster for a long period of time. You are offered larger discounts for longer subscription periods.
- Pay-As-You-Go: An upfront payment is not required. You are charged by hour for the compute nodes and the storage space that is consumed by the actual amount of data. The charges are deducted from your account balance on an hourly basis. We recommend that you select the pay-as-you-go billing method for short term use. You can reduce costs by releasing the cluster based on your business requirements.
- Specify the following parameters.
Parameter Description Region The region where the cluster is deployed. You cannot change the region after you purchase the cluster.Note Ensure that the PolarDB cluster and the Elastic Compute Service (ECS) instance to be connected are deployed in the same region. Otherwise, the cluster and the ECS instance cannot communicate through the internal network and can communicate through only the Internet. This compromises the performance. Create Type The method to create a PolarDB cluster.
Note You can select other options to create databases of other engines.
- Create Primary Cluster: creates a PolarDB cluster.
- Restore from Recycle: creates a cluster by restoring a backup of a deleted cluster from the recycle bin.
- Source Version: the version of the cluster that has been deleted.
- Deleted Clusters: the name of the cluster that has been deleted.
- Backup History: select the backup that you want to restore.
Primary Availability Zone The primary zone where the cluster is deployed.
- Each zone is an independent geographical location in a region. The zones that are deployed in the same region are similar.
- You can choose to create your PolarDB cluster in the same zone as the ECS instance or in the zone that is different from the zone of this instance.
- You need to select only the primary zone. The system automatically selects a secondary zone.
Network Type The value of this parameter can be only VPC. You do not need to select the value of this parameter. VPC
Ensure that the PolarDB cluster to be created and the ECS instance to be connected are deployed in the same VPC. Otherwise, the cluster and the ECS instance cannot communicate over the internal network to achieve the optimal performance.
- If you have created a VPC that meets your network plan, select the VPC. For example, if you have created an ECS instance and the VPC where the ECS instance is deployed meets your network plan, select this VPC.
- If you do not create a VPC that meets your network plan, use the default VPC and the
- Default VPC:
- The default VPC is a unique VPC in the selected region.
- The default VPC uses a 16-bit subnet mask. For example, the CIDR block 172.31.0.0/16 provides up to 65,536 private IP addresses.
- The default VPC does not consume the quota of VPCs that you can create.
- Default vSwitch:
- The default vSwitch is a unique vSwitch in your selected zone.
- The default vSwitch uses a 20-bit subnet mask. For example, the CIDR block 172.16.0.0/20 provides up to 4,096 private IP addresses.
- The default vSwitch does not consume the quota of vSwitches that you can create in a VPC.
- Default VPC:
- If the default VPC and vSwitch cannot meet your requirements, you can create your own VPC and vSwitch. For more information, see Work with VPCs.
- MySQL 8.0: fully compatible with MySQL 8.0. MySQL 8.0 supports parallel queries. In specific scenarios such as TPC-H tests, the performance increases by 10 times. For more information, see Parallel query.
- MySQL 5.7: fully compatible with MySQL 5.7.
- MySQL 5.6: fully compatible with MySQL 5.6.
- PostgreSQL 11: fully compatible with PostgreSQL 11.
- Compatible with Oracle Syntax: highly compatible with the Oracle syntax. For more information, see Oracle compatibility.
Edition By default, this parameter is set to Cluster (2-16 Nodes) (Recommended). Node Specification Select the specifications as needed. All nodes in the PolarDB cluster are dedicated nodes with stable and reliable performance.
For more information about compute node specifications, see Specifications and pricing.
Nodes If the source cluster edition is Cluster (2-16 Nodes) (Recommended), the system creates a primary node and a read-only node that have the same specification by default. You do not need to specify this parameter.Note If the primary node fails, the system uses the read-only node as the primary node and creates another read-only node. For more information about read-only nodes, see Architecture. Storage Cost You do not need to specify this parameter. The system charges you on an hourly basis based on the actual data usage. For more information, see Specifications and pricing.Note You do not need to select a storage capacity when you create a cluster. The system automatically scales the storage capacity based on the amount of data to be stored. Enable TDE Specify whether to enable Transparent Data Encryption (TDE). After TDE is enabled, PolarDB encrypts cluster data files. You do not need to modify the code to allow access to the services. The read and write performance is reduced by 5% to 10%.Note You cannot disable TDE after TDE is enabled. Cluster Name Enter the name of the cluster. The name must meet the following requirements:
- It cannot start with
- It must be 2 to 256 characters in length.
If this parameter is left empty, the system automatically generates a cluster name. You can change the cluster name after the cluster is created.
Resource Group Select a required resource group from available resource groups. For more information about how to create a resource group, see Create a resource group.Note A resource group is a container that contains a group of resources in an Alibaba Cloud account. You can manage these resources in a centralized manner. A resource belongs to only one resource group. For more information, see Use RAM to create and authorize resource groups.
- Specify the Number parameter and click Buy Now.Note You can create a maximum of 50 clusters at a time. This allows you to create multiple clusters in specific scenarios. For example, you can enable multiple game servers at a time.
- On the Confirm Order page, confirm your order information. Read and accept the terms of service, and then
click Activate Now.
After you complete the activation, it takes 10 to 15 minutes to create the cluster. Then, the newly created cluster is displayed on the Clusters page.Note
- If nodes in the cluster are in the Creating state, the cluster is being created and unavailable. The cluster is available only if it is in the Running state.
- Make sure that you have selected the region where the cluster is deployed. Otherwise, you cannot view the cluster.
- We recommend that you purchase subscription PolarDB storage plans to store a large amount of data. Storage plans are more cost-effective than pay-as-you-go storage. You are offered larger discounts if you purchase storage plans that provide larger storage capacities. For more information, see Purchase a storage plan.
Related API operations
|CreateDBCluster||Creates a PolarDB cluster.|
|DescribeDBClusters||Queries PolarDB clusters.|
|DescribeDBClusterAttribute||Queries the detailed information of a specified PolarDB cluster.|
|DescribeAutoRenewAttribute||Queries the auto-renewal status of subscription PolarDB clusters.|
|ModifyAutoRenewAttribute||Modifies auto-renewal parameters for a subscription PolarDB cluster.|