This topic describes how to create a PolarDB-O cluster in the Apsara PolarDB console.
You need to register an Alibaba Cloud account and log on to the console with the account. For more information, see Register and log on to an Alibaba Cloud account.
A PolarDB cluster contains one primary node and a maximum of 15 read-only nodes. (At least one read-only node is required to provide active-active high availability support.) A node is a virtual database server, where you can create and manage multiple databases.
- ApsaraDB for PolarDB supports Virtual Private Cloud (VPC). VPC is an isolated network in Alibaba Cloud that is more secure than a classic network.
- You can use PolarDB with Elastic Compute Service (ECS). We recommend that your PolarDB cluster and ECS instance reside in the same VPC to achieve optimal performance. If your ECS instance is created in a classic network, you need to migrate it to a VPC.
- Login ApsaraDB for PolarDB console.
- On the upper-left corner of the page, click Create Cluster.
- Select Subscription or Pay-As-You-Go. Note
- Subscription: You need to pay for the compute nodes (a primary node and a read-only node) when you create a cluster. Storage consumed by your databases is billed in GB/hour increments and the charges are deducted from your account on an hourly basis. The subscription method is more cost-effective if you want to use the new cluster for a long period of time. You can save more with longer subscription periods.
- Pay-As-You-Go: This method does not require any upfront payment. Compute nodes and storage consumed by your databases are billed on an hourly basis and the charges are deducted from your account. We recommend that you select Pay-As-You-Go for short term use. You can save costs by releasing the cluster when it is no longer required.
- Specify the following parameters.
Section Parameter Description Basic Configuration Region The region where the cluster is deployed. You cannot change the region after you purchase the instance.Note Make sure that you deploy your PolarDB-O cluster in the same region as the Elastic Compute Service (ECS) instance to which you want to connect. Otherwise, the instances cannot communicate through the internal network and optimal performance cannot be achieved. Create Type The create type of a Polar-O cluster. Valid values:
- Create Primary Cluster: create a new Apsara PolarDB cluster.
- Restore from Recycle: create a new cluster by restoring a backup of a deleted cluster from the recycle
- Source Version: the version of the cluster that has been deleted.
- Deleted Clusters: the name of the cluster that has been deleted.
- Backup History: select the backup that you want to restore.
You can select other options to create databases of other engines.
Primary Availability Zone The zone of the cluster.
- Each zone is an independent geographical location within a region. The zones that are deployed in the same region are similar.
- You can deploy your Apsara PolarDB cluster and the ECS instance in the same zone or in different zones.
- You only need to select the primary zone. The system automatically selects a secondary zone.
By default, this parameter is set to VPC. You do not need to specify this parameter.
Make sure that the Apsara PolarDB cluster and ECS instance are deployed in the same VPC network. Otherwise, the cluster and the ECS instance cannot communicate with each other over the internal network and achieve optimal performance.
- If you have created a VPC network that meets your network plan, select the VPC. For example, if you have created an ECS instance and the VPC network where it is deployed meets your network plan, select this VPC.
- Otherwise, use the default VPC and VSwitch.
- Default VPC:
- It is a unique VPC in the selected zone.
- The default VPC uses a 16-bit subnet mask. For example, the CIDR block 172.31.0.0/16 provides up to 65,536 internal IP addresses
- It is not included in the total number of VPC networks that you can create.
- Default VSwitch:
- It is a unique VSwitch in your selected zone.
- The default VSwitch uses a 20-bit subnet mask. For example, the CIDR block 172.16.0.0/20 provides up to 4,096 internal IP addresses
- The default VSwitch is not included in the total number of VSwitches that you can create in a VPC network.
- Default VPC:
- If the default VPC and VSwitch cannot meet your business requirements, you can create your own VPC and VSwitch.
Instance Compatibility Select Compatibility with Oracle Syntax.
PolarDB-O is highly compatible with Oracle syntax. For more information, see Oracle compatibility.
Node Specification Select the specifications as needed. All nodes in the Apsara PolarDB cluster are dedicated nodes with stable and reliable performance. For more information about specifications, see Specifications and pricing. Number of Nodes
- The number of nodes in the cluster. You do not need to specify this parameter. The system automatically creates a read-only node with the same specification as that of the primary node.
- If the primary node fails, the system automatically switches the read-only node as the primary node, and creates a new read-only node.
- For more information about read-only nodes, see Architecture.
Storage Cost The fee incurred by the storage. You do not need to specify this parameter. The system charges you on an hourly basis based on the actual data usage. For more information, see Specifications and pricing.Note You do not need to select a storage capacity when you purchase a cluster. The storage capacity can automatically resize based on your data usage. Enable TDE Specify whether to enable Transparent Data Encryption (TDE). After TDE is enabled, Apsara PolarDB encrypts cluster data files. This may reduce the performance by 5% to 10%.Note You cannot disable TDE after it is enabled.
- Specify Purchase Plan (only applicable to subscription clusters) and Number, and click Buy Now.Note A maximum of 50 clusters can be created at a time, which is suitable for business scenarios such as launching multiple gaming servers at a time.
- On the Confirm Order page, confirm your order information, read and accept the ApsaraDB for PolarDB Subscription Agreement of Service, and then click Pay.
- After you complete the payment, it takes 10 to 15 minutes to create the cluster. Then,
the newly created cluster is displayed on the Clusters page in the console.Note
- If some nodes in the cluster are still in the Creating state, the cluster is still being created and unavailable. The cluster is available only when the cluster is in the Running state.
- Make sure that you have selected the region where the cluster is deployed. Otherwise, you cannot view your cluster.
Related API operations
|CreateDBCluster||Creates a PolarDB cluster.|
|DescribeDBClusters||Queries PolarDB clusters.|
|DescribeDBClusterAttribute||Queries the detailed information of a specified PolarDB cluster.|
|DescribeAutoRenewAttribute||Queries the auto renewal details of subscription PolarDB clusters.|
|ModifyAutoRenewAttribute||Sets the auto renewal attributes for a specified subscription PolarDB cluster.|