This topic describes the common scenarios of Resource Management.
Deploy resources and accounts by business
A resource directory enables you to create a folder hierarchy that matches your business requirements and place your accounts and resources in the most suitable locations.
If your enterprise has multiple accounts and a large number of cloud resources on Alibaba Cloud, you can use a resource directory to manage the resources and accounts in a centralized manner. This helps you:
- Manage and control resources for safe production management based on the organizational structure for the branches and departments of your enterprise, such as resource configuration, access permission management, and operation tracking.
- Manage and control projects based on your business requirements, such as unified settlement, unified billing, and project auditing.
Define a hierarchical model for cloud resources
- With multiple Alibaba Cloud accounts: You can isolate different application projects, business systems, or IT environments such as development and production environments.
- With one Alibaba Cloud account:
- You can create multiple resource groups and authorize an administrator for each resource group. Administrators can then manage users, permissions, and cloud resources in their authorized resource groups.
- You can view billing statements by resource group.
Plan a management structure for Alibaba Cloud accounts and resources
- When you migrate your enterprise data to the cloud, you can use resource groups to
design a simple management structure for your Alibaba Cloud accounts and resources.
- Scenario 1: Isolate IT environments by using Alibaba Cloud accounts and isolate the resources of various applications by using resource groups.
- Scenario 2: Isolate the resources of various applications by using Alibaba Cloud accounts and isolate resources between the modules within an application by using resource groups.
- For a large enterprise with complex organizational relationships, you can create a resource directory to build an organizational structure for the resources of the enterprise. This helps manage accounts, enhance operations and maintenance (O&M), meet strict industry requirements, and improve security.
- The number of cloud resources increases with the improvement of the IT business capabilities
of enterprises. This increases the difficulties in resource management. Different
departments have different requirements for resource management:
- The business department needs to assign an owner for each resource that is used in the production environment.
- The financial department needs to add financial attributes to different resources.
- The O&M department needs to monitor different resources in various regions and perform automated O&M for these resources.
- The security management department needs to implement resource access control on users.
Tags help meet the preceding requirements. You can use tags to categorize and manage cloud resources from different dimensions.