This topic describes the features provided by Resource Directory and Resource Group.
- Business-based creation of an organizational structure
- In the era of globalization, enterprises establish branches or departments across regions. Resource Directory allows enterprises to address their business needs, usage of cloud resources, and purchase and regulatory requirements in various regions.
- Enterprises need to start a large number of projects in diversified business environments. Resource Directory ensures reasonable investment, unified and controllable financial supervision, and optimized asset allocation for each project.
- Resource Directory enables market segmentation. An enterprise can manage its business in groups based on its market and customer demands. Each customer corresponds to a node in the resource directory of the enterprise. Resource Directory isolates the business and unifies settlement.
- Unified management of all Alibaba Cloud accounts and resources
If your enterprise has multiple Alibaba Cloud accounts, you can enable a resource directory and place the accounts in preset locations in the resource directory. This allows you to manage the accounts and the resources under them in a centralized manner.
- Unified management of enterprise bills and invoices
- After your enterprise accounts are placed in preset locations in a resource directory, you can use one of the accounts as the payment account to unify settlement. You can also grant permissions to certain users to meet financial management requirements.
- Resource Directory defines the financial units of an enterprise. This way, the enterprise can issue bills with different titles for resources in different groups based on its own financial requirements.
- Integration with Resource Access Management (RAM) and other Alibaba Cloud applications
- Resource Directory is integrated with the RAM service to implement finer-grained access control on a specific resource or resource group of an enterprise. RAM users in a resource directory can only access authorized resources.
- A number of Alibaba Cloud applications collaborate with each other to provide standard and consistent services and reduce costs for enterprises. This depends on the output of the API used by Resource Directory.
- An Alibaba Cloud account contains one default resource group and multiple custom resource groups.
- A cloud resource can belong to only one resource group. A resource group cannot contain another resource group.
- A resource group can contain cloud resources created in different regions.
- Cloud resources in different resource groups under the same Alibaba Cloud account can be connected to the same Virtual Private Cloud (VPC). For example, an ECS instance in resource group 1 can be connected to a VPC in resource group 2.
- You can move resources under the same Alibaba Cloud account between resource groups.
- You can authorize a RAM user or user group to access a specific resource group.