You can use scripts to install the Application Real-Time Monitoring Service (ARMS) agent for a Java application. To monitor the application, you do not need to restart the application. We recommend that you choose this installation method if you are using ARMS for the first time. If you restart the Java application, ARMS automatically loads the ARMS agent and monitors the application.
- Ports 8442, 8443, and 8883 in the security group have been opened for TCP outbound
access. For more information about how to grant outbound permissions to ECS, see Add security group rules.
Note In addition to applications on Alibaba Cloud ECS instances, applications on public network servers can also access ARMS.
- Make sure your third-party components or frameworks are within the application monitoring compatibility list. For more information about the compatibility list, see application monitoring compatibility list.
- If you have manually installed the ARMS agent for the Java application, you must uninstall the ARMS agent before you can use scripts to install the ARMS agent. For more information, see Manually install the ARMS agent for a Java application.
If the JDK Version is 1.8.0_25 or 1.8.0_31, you may fail to install the arms Agent. In this case, upgrade the JDK to the latest version in 1.8.X.
- Log on to the ARMS console.
- In the left-side navigation pane, choose .
- On the Applications page, select a region in the top navigation bar, and click Add Application in the upper-right corner.
- On the Add Application page, perform the following operations:
- Select Java as the programming language of your application.
- Select Default as the environment where your application is deployed.
- Select Install with Script as the method to install the ARMS agent.
- Copy the license key at the top of the Add Application page.
- Run the installation script that corresponds to your region.
Region Installation script China (Hangzhou)
wget -O- http://arms-apm-hangzhou.oss-cn-hangzhou.aliyuncs.com/install.sh | sh && ~/.arms/supervisor/cli.sh <licenseKey> Java-Demo
wget -O- http://arms-apm-shanghai.oss-cn-shanghai.aliyuncs.com/install.sh | sh && ~/.arms/supervisor/cli.sh <licenseKey> Java-Demo
wget -O- http://arms-apm-qingdao.oss-cn-qingdao.aliyuncs.com/install.sh | sh && ~/.arms/supervisor/cli.sh <licenseKey> Java-Demo
wget -O- http://arms-apm-beijing.oss-cn-beijing.aliyuncs.com/install.sh | sh && ~/.arms/supervisor/cli.sh <licenseKey> Java-Demo
wget -O- http://arms-apm-shenzhen.oss-cn-shenzhen.aliyuncs.com/install.sh | sh && ~/.arms/supervisor/cli.sh <licenseKey> Java-Demo
China (Hong Kong)
wget -O- http://arms-apm-hongkong.oss-cn-hongkong.aliyuncs.com/install.sh | sh && ~/.arms/supervisor/cli.sh <licenseKey> Java-Demo
wget -O- http://arms-apm-ap-southeast.oss-ap-southeast-1.aliyuncs.com/cloud_ap-southeast-1/install.sh | sh && ~/.arms/supervisor/cli.sh <licenseKey> Java-Demo
wget -O- http://arms-apm-japan.oss-ap-northeast-1.aliyuncs.com/install.sh | sh && ~/.arms/supervisor/cli.sh <licenseKey> Java-Demo
US (Silicon Valley)
wget -O- http://arms-apm-usw.oss-us-west-1.aliyuncs.com/install.sh | sh && ~/.arms/supervisor/cli.sh <licenseKey> Java-Demo
China East 1 Finance
wget -O- http://arms-apm-hangzhou.oss-cn-hangzhou.aliyuncs.com/finance/install.sh | sh && ~/.arms/supervisor/cli.sh <licenseKey> Java-DemoNote
<licenseKey>with your license key.
Java-Demowith the name of your application. The application name cannot contain Chinese characters.
- After you run the installation script, it automatically downloads the latest ARMS agent.
- If your server has only one Java process, the installation script installs the ARMS agent on this process by default. If your server has multiple Java processes, select a process to install the ARMS agent.
Verify the result
After about 1 minute, if your application is displayed in the application list and some data records are sent, it indicates that your application is monitored by ARMS.
Uninstall the ARMS Agent
- If you no longer want to use ARMS to monitor your Java applications, run the
jps -lcommand to view all processes and find the process ID of
com.alibaba.mw.arms.apm.supervisor.daemon.Daemonin the returned results.In this example, the process ID of
- Run the
kill -9 <process ID>command.Example:
kill -9 62857.
- Run the
rm -rf /.arms /root/.armscommand.
- Restart your application.
Change the application name
If you forget to change the sample name Java-Demo to a custom name, you can change the application name by performing a few operations. You do not need to restart the application or reinstall the ARMS agent. For more information, see How can I change the name of a Java application after I use scripts to install the ARMS agent?
How can I handle the following getcwd error when I run the installation script to install the ARMS agent?
shell-init: error retrieving current directory: getcwd: cannot access parent directories: No such file or directory Error occurred during initialization of VM java.lang.Error: Properties init: Could not determine current working directory. at java.lang.System.initProperties(Native Method) at java.lang.System.initializeSystemClass(System.java:1119)
The possible cause is that the current directory is deleted by mistake when you run the installation script. To solve this issue, run the
cdcommand and then run the installation script again.
Where do I view logs after I run the installation script to install the ARMS agent?
The default directory of logs is /root/.arms/supervisor/logs/arms-supervisor.log. If no logs are available in this directory, run the
ps -ef |grep armscommand to view the directory where logs are stored.