To beautify the display of videos, ApsaraVideo VOD sets a thumbnail for each uploaded video and provides multiple ways for you to change the thumbnail. After a video is uploaded, ApsaraVideo VOD takes snapshots. If you specify a snapshot as the thumbnail during the upload, the specified snapshot is set as the thumbnail by default. Otherwise, one of the snapshots is used as the default thumbnail. You can change the thumbnail after the video is uploaded.
- Register an Alibaba Cloud account, complete real-name verification, and then activate ApsaraVideo VOD.
- Obtain an AccessKey pair to access ApsaraVideo VOD. You can create an AccessKey pair for your Alibaba Cloud account on the Security Management page in the Alibaba Cloud Management Console. You can also create a RAM user in the RAM console and grant the RAM user the permissions to access ApsaraVideo VOD. For more information, see Grant permissions to a RAM user.
- If you want to use the intelligent thumbnail feature, you must apply to enable the feature.
Set the thumbnail in the console
- Log on to the ApsaraVideo VOD console.
- In the left-side navigation pane of the ApsaraVideo VOD console, choose Media Files > Audio/Video. Then, click Upload.
- Find the video for which you want to change the thumbnail and click Manage in the Actions column. Note
After a video is uploaded, a default video snapshot is used as the video thumbnail.
- Click Editing Video Information and select one of the snapshots that are automatically taken as the video thumbnail.
You can also click Upload and select an on-premises image to upload it as the thumbnail. Note The uploaded image must be in the PNG or JPG format. The maximum size is 1 MB, and the maximum resolution is 1920 × 1080 pixels.
Set the thumbnail by using the API or SDK
ApsaraVideo VOD provides various methods to upload videos. You can specify the thumbnail when you upload a video. If you do not specify a thumbnail, ApsaraVideo VOD selects a snapshot as the default thumbnail. You can call the following operations to set the thumbnail:
- When you call the CreateUploadVideo operation, you can set the CoverURL parameter to specify the URL of the thumbnail.
- When you call the UploadMediaByURL operation, you can set the CoverURL parameter in UploadMetadata to specify the URL of the thumbnail.
- If the video is stored in Object Storage Service (OSS), you can call the RegisterMedia operation to register the media asset in ApsaraVideo VOD. When you call this operation, you can set the CoverURL parameter in RegisterMetadata to specify the URL of the thumbnail.
- After the video is uploaded to ApsaraVideo VOD, you can call the UpdateVideoInfo or UpdateVideoInfos operation and set the CoverURL parameter to specify the URL of the thumbnail.
Use the intelligent thumbnail feature
The intelligent thumbnail feature can analyze video content and extract multiple snapshots that best represent the video content as backup thumbnails. This feature can also extract keyframes from the video content and automatically merge them into a GIF file as the video thumbnail. To experience the intelligent thumbnail feature, click here. Before you use the intelligent thumbnail feature, submit an application to enable the feature. The following figure shows the effect of the intelligent thumbnail feature.