Cloud Web Hosting Package
Created#More Posted time:Dec 15, 2016 14:41 PM
Alibaba Cloud provides a one-stop website service for individuals, developers and small startups. With IaaS, you can find all the resources you want for web application development. The one-stop website service integrates ECS, web application development images (WordPress, LAMP, and LEMP among other web applications), domain names and Alibaba Cloud DNS products. It also offers multiple flexible one-stop services including WordPress website building, and LAMP/LEMP web application development stacks. Leveraging the package of ECS, domain name service and DNS, you can even customize a mail server for your own domain name.
This article introduces how to quickly set up a WordPress-powered blog website on Alibaba Cloud that can be accessed through an exclusive domain name and IP address within five to ten minutes.
The entire website building process involves several steps as follows:
Step 1: Select and set up the ECS for running the WordPress website
ECS has three specifications available. For a personal blog website, 1-core ECS with 1GB of memory will work just fine for you. The ECS supports around 100,000 unique visitors (UV) of access per month (Note: supposing the load of website visits is evenly distributed by time). If your website needs to support a higher traffic, you can choose 1-core 2GB, or 2-core 4GB configurations to empower your website with a higher concurrency capacity.
1. Log on to ECS Console and select Web Hosting Service Package.
2. Select a region. Select a region closer to your users according to the geographical distribution of the target users of your website. Alibaba Cloud has ECS data centers around the world available for you. For the latest list of regions, refer to https://intl.aliyun.com/why-alibaba-cloud.
3. If the ECS you selected is in mainland China, you need to file your website for ICP filling as per China’s law to make your website available for public access through the domain name. For details about the ICP filing, you can refer to FAQs about ICP record filling. ICP filling has respective requirements for individual applicants and enterprise applicants. The record filing process may take some time, usually 20 natural days. If you select an ECS instance in Mainland China regions and have not filed your website for an ICP record, the ECS server you purchased in “Web Hosting Service Package” and the domain name you registered won’t be able to provide external services. If you are not eligible for ICP filing, you can select an ECS instance in the Hong Kong region.
4. Select a WordPress application image. You can choose an image for the Ubuntu OS or CentOS as you prefer. If you have no system preference, we recommend you choose WordPress on LAMP Ubuntu 14.04 64bits, because Ubuntu OS is more popular in individual developer communities.
5. Next, you will see the purchase plan options for the website service. Currently Alibaba Cloud supports purchasing ECS instance, domain name and DNS in a package with the subscription time of 1-year.
Step 2: Select and set up the ECS instance for running the WordPress website.
1. After you complete the Set Your Web Application Server step, click Next to proceed to the Set Your Domain Name and DNS page. Check the status of your desired domain name. You can select a domain name that hasn’t been registered. Currently Alibaba Cloud only supports registration of the most popular .com and .net domain names. More domain name types will be available soon.
2. After you complete the registration of the website service, the domain name you selected will be automatically parsed to the public IP address of the ECS instance you purchased. You can also modify your A record parsing on the Console DNS page.
3. Click Buy Now to go to the Confirm Order page.
4. The system will load Alibaba Cloud account information by default as the domain name registrant information. Domain name registration requires you to provide full and correct information for the registrant. If the default information is incomplete or incorrect, the system will prompt you to edit it. Click Edit Owner Information to go to the owner information editing box. Edit the information, and submit the changes.
5. Select Agree to ECS Service Terms, click Place Order to go to the Confirm Payment page.
6. Click Pay to complete the purchase.
7. After successful payment, the ECS instance you selected will be created in the background. After you have successfully registered your domain name, it will be automatically linked to the public IP address of the ECS instance.
Step 3: Initialize the WordPress website
1. After successful payment and before WordPress initialization, you need to verify the ECS status you have purchased on the ECS Console. Select the region where the ECS is located, and you will see the status of the ECS server you just purchased. When the status is Running, you can further check the public IP address.
2. On the DNS Console, you can see the linking configuration that the system sets for the just-registered domain name hellowebhosting.net. If you cannot see the linking configuration for the just-registered domain name, refresh the page and wait for 2-3 minutes. The linking configuration is completed after the ECS instance is up and running.
3. Click Resolution Settings. You can see that the A records of the domain name hellowebhosting.net in this example has been set, and the public IP address of the just-purchased ECS server has been linked to it.
4. Having confirmed the ECS server is up and running and the parsing settings are successful, you can further verify the domain name hellowebhosting.net has been successfully linked to the IP address through the ping command.
5. Input the domain name hellowebhosting.net in the browser to enter the WordPress settings page. Select the desired language for WordPress.
6. Click Continue to go to the WordPress site and administrator settings, and set the title, site administrator name and password. Remember the user name, password and administrator e-mail address you set, because they will be used for logging in to and setting the website as the WordPress administrator. After completing the settings, click Install WordPress.
7. After the installation is completed, the page will prompt success. Click Log In.
Use the user name and password you just set for the login.
8. After login, you will see the WordPress management page. Select the menu in the left sidebar to manage settings, such as downloading and installing a new theme, or applying a new theme.
Select the Posts menu in the left sidebar, and click Add New button on the posts page. Now you can post a blog or upload a photo and image.
9. Click the Publish button, and your post will be uploaded will be connected to the world on the internet.
10. Now all the internet users around the world can see the post you just published at the domain name you registered, www.hellowebhosting.net.
Congratulations! Your WordPress website has launched!