• UID539
  • Fans3
  • Follows0
  • Posts19
Reads:1824Replies:0

FAQs about secondary partitioning of the ECS system disk and data disk

Created#
More Posted time:Dec 6, 2016 13:55 PM
Can I create a partition again on the system disk of an ECS host for data storage?
Out of considerations for system security and stability, Alibaba Cloud does not support secondary partitioning on the system disk either in Windows or Linux OS. Enforcing secondary partitioning on the system disk using a third-party tool may cause unknown risks such as system crashes or data loss.

Can I create another partition on the data disk of an ECS host for data storage?
You can create multiple partitions on your data disk as required. You are recommended to create partitions using the tool provided by the system.

When multiple partitions are created on a disk, is the disk snapshot for a partition or for the disk?
Alibaba Cloud disk snapshots are for the entire disk, rather than partitions on the disk.

What are the dos and don’ts for secondary partitioning on a disk?
For data security concerns, you should back up the target disk with a manual snapshot before performing secondary partitioning, so that you can perform a rollback in case of exceptions.

How many partitions are there after I perform secondary partitioning on a data disk and perform snapshot rollback?
Snapshot rollback means to roll back to the snapshot time point. If you haven't performed secondary partitioning by the time point, there are no multiple partitions.
If the problem persists, contact Alibaba Cloud After-Sales Technical Support.