• UID5463
  • Fans0
  • Follows0
  • Posts1
Reads:1116Replies:6

My disappointment with Aliyun ECS

Created#
More Posted time:Apr 11, 2018 6:46 AM
I signed up for alibaba cloud because I want to utilize Hong Kong region which is currently not avaialble on AWS EC2, plus I wanted to give Aliyun a try anyway!

We run a internet game accelator software company, meaning we have to create an instance for each customer and route their gaming traffic through the server to create better gaming experience, and we have some customers in South East Asia meaning HK is a important location for us. Our company currently have over 500 instances deployed in Amazon EC2.

Anyway to cut the story short, I hooked up our current API with Aliyun API so we can create instances through API calls, took a while since there was very little documentations.

When I was about to create my second or third instance through the API, i received an error
Forbidden.RiskControl This operation is forbidden by Aliyun RiskControl system. HTTP Status: 403
And I wasnt able to create any more instance.

Opened support ticket and I was told I need to email them my Passport + Credit Card Photo + Bank Statement. I was like what? I create a few instances costing few cents and now they think Im some kind of fraud that wont pay up? Never had such problem at Amazon/Google Cloud/Azure before! And I had to spend like $50 for "Priority Support Ticket" so that they respond to my tickets faster!

After emailing them the info, I was able to create more instances, BUT the next day I woke up, I got a email saying
We have detected unusual activity related to the services running under your account, and have therefore terminated the affected services. If you have any questions, please contact customer service by submitting a ticket within 48 hours.
And one of my instances was LOCKED and unaccessible. I opened another ticket, and was told that one of my instances was used for BITCOIN MINING!
My instance was running Windows Server 2016 image, with like no software installed other than a web browser, and they said it was being used  to mine bitcoin so they just randomly stop my instance?  Aliyun clearly needs to work on their detection logic because it is clearly not functioning. I will be lucky to mine few cents on a machine that costs $4 a day!

Moving onto the third day with Aliyun, as we let our customer try out our new edge location, we ran into a  new error when trying to create new instance:
QuotaExceed.AfterpayInstance ... Quota Limited by user quota [10]

Apparantly, you can only create 10 ECS instance in a region! Oh wow, thats right! 10 instances!!
People use cloud computing for its flexibility and scalability, and now you are telling your customer, sorry dude you can only have 10 VMs.
I have made HUNDREDS of virtual instances in providers such as Google/Microsoft/Amazon and I have never heard of such limitation until today!
I want to create HUNDREDS of instances and I am the one paying the bills, I don't understand why the limit is put at 10 to be honest, and there is no real way to raise the limit, the support just told me to contact their sales team which they MAY be able to increase the limit(to like 20? haha).

Anyway, I have never experience so much trouble using cloud computing, until today!

I sincerely hope someone at aliyun will take the above feedback, and make aliyun better!

Otherwise, I just hope that AWS HK region opens soon.....

Elina
Intern
Intern
  • UID5486
  • Fans1
  • Follows0
  • Posts2
1st Reply#
Posted time:Apr 14, 2018 14:41 PM
I don't think there is such an limitation in HK Regions .

shhanshan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
  • UID105
  • Fans5
  • Follows0
  • Posts343
2nd Reply#
Posted time:Apr 16, 2018 17:45 PM
I think this is due to their policy and ECS quota configuration.
AlibabaCloud.com

chfw
Intern
Intern
  • UID5523
  • Fans0
  • Follows0
  • Posts3
3rd Reply#
Posted time:Apr 22, 2018 5:02 AM
> Anyway to cut the story short, I hooked up our current API with Aliyun API so we can create instances through API calls, took a while since there was very little documentations.

> When I was about to create my second or third instance through the API, i received an error
Forbidden.RiskControl This operation is forbidden by Aliyun RiskControl system. HTTP Status: 403
And I wasnt able to create any more instance.

I finding myself walking down this path too and am in getting pass RiskControl.

So my 2 cents are: why not asking for such validation in the first place? As a developer, I do NOT like to be interrupted when I am in middle of doing my work. And as an engineer, I need to understand how it is going to work before hand and plan my work. Out of blue, it gives me RiskControl forbidden 403 ---> it is a bad developer experience.

chfw
Intern
Intern
  • UID5523
  • Fans0
  • Follows0
  • Posts3
4Floor#
Posted time:Apr 26, 2018 4:58 AM
There is such a quota in Frankfurt data centre too.

> 已开通 2 台 ECS,还可开通 8 台

JohnHanley
Engineer
Engineer
  • UID5606
  • Fans2
  • Follows1
  • Posts75
5Floor#
Posted time:May 9, 2018 4:12 AM
AWS has similar types of controls. Fraud in the cloud is a serious problem. I don't blame Alibaba, AWS, Azure, Google, etc. from trying to protect themselves.

Try to look at it from the cloud provider's side. How would you reduce risk? What warning bells would you program into your fraud and billing API?

I work pretty closely with AWS and I have dinners, etc. with business managers as I am in Seattle. When I asked what is the best way to reduce "limit" problems, I was told:

1) Use real verifiable information about yourself and your company. Take the time to completely and accurately fill out their account application.
2) Use a real credit card that has sufficient credit available. Don't use a card with $10 in available credit.
3) Sign up with the partner program. Link your cloud account and partner account.
4) Get certified.
5) Send support an introductory email about what you are going to be doing in the near future. List your requirements to ensure that their limits meet your needs.

These simple steps will go a long way to improving confidence on both sides.

Remember, they want your business - spend a few minutes working through their processes to ensure a smooth future.

adityabyreddy
Intern
Intern
  • UID6072
  • Fans0
  • Follows0
  • Posts1
6Floor#
Posted time:Aug 10, 2018 2:36 AM
Yes. It really sucks. I never came across this sort of mess on any cloud services. And they call it security practice.