By Xining Wang
Kubernetes uses cgroups to isolate container resources. cgroup have two versions: v1 and v2. cgroup v2 offers a more consistent user experience and a broader range of features. For example, it supports extended Berkeley Packet Filter (eBPF) programs attached to cgroups, enabling resource monitoring and pod-based request redirects. Additionally, it serves as a dependency for eBPF-based network optimization. This article describes how to enable cgroup v2 on Alibaba Cloud Container Service for Kubernetes.
1) Only Alibaba Cloud Linux 3.2104 and later versions support cgroup v2.
2) Ensure that the kernel version supports the cgroup v2 mechanism. You can check the version by running the following command:
grep cgroup /proc/filesystems
If the output includes the line "cgroup2", it means that the kernel version supports cgroup v2.
3) Enabling cgroup v2 requires configuration and adjustment in multiple aspects, so it needs to be handled with caution. In practical applications, it is recommended to conduct thorough testing first to ensure the stability and reliability of the application and system.
1) Log on to each node and run the following command:
grubby --update-kernel=ALL --args=systemd.unified_cgroup_hierarchy=1
2) Confirm with the following command:
cat /etc/default/grub |grep systemd.unified_cgroup_hierarchy
It can be seen that the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX values include
3) You must restart the node.
4) After logging on to the node again, modify the kubelet startup configuration file
/etc/systemd/system/kubelet.service.d/10-kubeadm.conf, manually disable a featuregate (
--feature-gates=LocalStorageCapacityIsolation=false), and confirm that the parameters are modified as follows:
ExecStart=/usr/bin/kubelet $KUBELET_KUBECONFIG_ARGS $KUBELET_SYSTEM_PODS_ARGS $KUBELET_DNS_ARGS $KUBELET_AUTHZ_ARGS $KUBELET_CGROUP_ARGS $KUBELET_CERTIFICATE_ARGS $KUBELET_EXTRA_ARGS $KUBELET_CUSTOMIZED_ARGS --feature-gates=LocalStorageCapacityIsolation=false --container-runtime=remote --container-runtime-endpoint=/var/run/containerd/containerd.sock
5) Reload the kubelet service configuration:
6) Restart the kubelet service:
systemctl restart kubelet
1) After you log on to the node again, determine whether to enable cgroupv2. Run the following command to view the cgroup controller list:
Should return similar results:
cpuset cpu io memory hugetlb pids rdma
2) Run the following command to view the cgroup2 file system that is mounted on the current system:
mount |grep cgroup2
Should return similar results:
cgroup2 on /sys/fs/cgroup type cgroup2 (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
3) Verify whether cgroup v2 is normal. You can use the following command to check whether cgroup v2 is running properly:
If you can see a number that indicates CPU usage, it means that cgroup v2 has been enabled.
Check the kubelet running log to make sure that it is normal:
journalctl -u kubelet –f
The above steps outline the basic process of enabling cgroup v2 in Alibaba Cloud Container Service for Kubernetes (ACK). However, in real-world applications, additional configurations and adjustments may be required.
To summarize, enabling cgroup v2 involves configuring and adjusting multiple aspects, which should be approached with caution. It is recommended to conduct thorough testing in practical applications to ensure the stability and reliability of both the application and the system.
Alibaba Cloud Native Community - March 29, 2023
Marketplace - October 5, 2020
Alibaba Cloud Native Community - May 8, 2023
Alibaba Developer - June 12, 2020
Alibaba Cloud Native Community - July 26, 2022
Alibaba Container Service - April 28, 2020
Provides a control plane to allow users to manage Kubernetes clusters that run based on different infrastructure resourcesLearn More
Alibaba Cloud Container Service for Kubernetes is a fully managed cloud container management service that supports native Kubernetes and integrates with other Alibaba Cloud products.Learn More
Alibaba Cloud Function Compute is a fully-managed event-driven compute service. It allows you to focus on writing and uploading code without the need to manage infrastructure such as servers.Learn More
Accelerate and secure the development, deployment, and management of containerized applications cost-effectively.Learn More
More Posts by Xi Ning Wang(王夕宁)